Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Living many little lives

My boyfriend and I moved into our new apartment in April of last year, and because that time happened to be in the middle of the spring semester, there were a lot of boxes that just never got unpacked. Also, my parents recently went on a cleaning spree, and asked that I clean out all of my old stuff from their basement - I had boxes full of stuff from high school (over 10 years ago) and from my undergrad time in Boston (5 years ago). On a recent visit to Maryland, my parents unloaded a few of these boxes, which sat with the other unpacked boxes for a while. Until the other night. I needed a break from homework and so I decided I would bring a box or two up from the basement to unpack. I figure if I unpack one or two boxes every few days, I can get through the pile in a few weeks...although I am realizing now that it won’t go that quickly if I work at the pace I did the other night...

Inside the boxes I found old photos, sketchbooks, journals, letters, planners, and other traces of what I like to think of as some of the “little lives” I have lived through the years. It was almost like an archeological dig as I found evidence of my lives from the past - many things that I didn’t remember...or had forgotten about until I had them in my hand again. I was overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions, but all of it was veiled with a kind of sad, nostalgic feeling. Why is it that many people (at least I know I do) experience melancholy emotions when we are reminded of times gone by?

Do you ever feel like you have lived many “little lives”? I have lived in so many places, and with so many different people...I have been to different schools, been in different programs, worked in the “real world” in different capacities, had different roles and responsibilities...I watched my family change, watched my younger siblings grow up. And through all of this, although I have remained essentially the same person, my identity has changed as well. I am amazed by the fluidity of identity, and am reminded of the phrase “the only constant is change”. It is amazing to go through boxes where I could see how and when I changed and why. I relived happy and sad times, and by the end my “walk down memory lane” (that is, reading old letters/journals and looking at old pictures) I was exhausted.

2 comments:

  1. is it strange that just reading about another's (your) memory walk causes those same sorts of feelings of nostalgia to surface? it really is (or at least super feels like) a universal sensation of simultaneous accomplishment/loss/growth that comes with re-experiencing the detritus of a life lived.

    i really like your blog topic.

    your boxed up life reminds me of warhol's time capsules (somehow i only recently found out about these!): there's an awesome online catalog of time capsule 21 here:

    http://www.warhol.org/tc21/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel like I've lived "many little lives". my entire high school career is catalogued in my many sketchbooks (which I would like to offer you to look through for research). Going through my old sketch books brings me back to exactly how I was feeling at that time in my life. Filled with drawings, lyrics, found objects etc. Even my old online blogs still exitst, and when I read through those, I always remind myself how much life improves as you go on and stop dwelling on the little bullshit that holds you back

    ReplyDelete