Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hiroshi Sugimoto: fading memory

I was first introduced to Hiroshi Sugimoto's work last semester in my Basic Photo class. I looked him up after class that night and was captivated by his soft dreamy images - many of which are intentionally out of focus. To me, they evoke strong emotions related to memory - sadness and nostalgia combined with the struggle to remember important times and places. The blurriness of the photos reminds me of how memory is not factual, rather, it is our attempt to record and retrieve experiences.


Sugimoto's work is very much about the passage of time. He created a series of photos in beautiful old theaters where he left the camera shutter open throughout the duration of a film. The result is a white screen which casts a soft light across the empty theater. These images make me feel a little sad - they make me think of lost time and of lost memories...of watching a story of your life and not remembering parts.

4 comments:

  1. dear sara allred,

    another artist who achieves this ethereal memory-dream effect in his work is painter kenichi hoshine (kenichihoshine.com). in particular, his wax paintings lend themselves to cloudy memory-type interpretations. i hope you like him.

    love, alissandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really natural to gravitate towards photographers for this theme. A quote that I found made me think of your blog:

    "I don’t take photographs thinking that they are going to be art. I take the photographs thinking that I need to keep the moment, because I need to look at it afterwards."
    - Gabriel Orozco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - I googled "memory and mediation + photograghy looking for something else, but found this blog entry

    http://chutry.wordherders.net/archives/000585.html

    the two film references look so interesting to me I'm putting them on my ever-expanding netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, this book (The Narrative Reader) has an essay by John Berger called Stories that is about photography, memory and narrative I think you'd really find interesting... we probably have this in Decker....

    http://www.amazon.com/Narrative-Reader-M-Mcquillan/dp/0415205336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255273492&sr=8-1

    I wonder, too, if Camera Lucida might not be a good one for you? Barthes idea of the punctum I think could potentially be really interesting here...

    ReplyDelete